First class revealed for Revere’s Athletic Hall of Fame
BATH — Revere High School has announced the inaugural induction class for the school’s newly created Athletic Hall of Fame.
The 2014 inductees are: Joe Pappano, Al Smesko, Dr. William Moats, Chuck Penzenik Sr., Andy McCollum, Jim Scavuzzo, Kory (Fielitz) Rorabaugh, Melissa Bickett, Samantha Danesis and the 1990 football team.
Committee member Phil Heyn said the inductees were selected based on “their achievements in their selective categories.”
“This is a very strong class with a good mixture — team, coach, contributor and athletes — who have competed in a variety of sports at a variety of levels, including high school, college at different levels and then pros with McCollum,” he said.
The inductees will be honored during halftime of Revere’s Aug. 29 home football game against Buckeye High School.
“They will receive an 8x10 plaque with their accomplishments listed,” Heyn said. “Then a plaque with all the inductees will be hung in the school near the gymnasium to honor this inaugural class, as well as future classes.”
Here is a closer look at this year’s class (with information provided by school officials):
- 1990 football team: The state runners-up finished 13-1 (7-0 in the Suburban League), outscoring their opponents 461-130. Thirteen wins are the most in school history and tied for most in Suburban League history. The seven league wins were part of a 23-game league winning streak (1988-91).
- Joe Pappano: The 26-year head football coach finished with 160 wins, nine league titles and seven state-qualifiers. He was the Akron Touchdown Club’s Coach of the Year in 1980 and 1990, the Ohio High School Coach of the Year in Division II in 1980 and 1989 and in Division III in 1990. Revere’s football stadium was renamed in his honor in 2002, and he was inducted into the Summit County Sports Hall of Fame in 2004.
- Al Smesko: The head basketball coach from 1969 to 1983 won 187 games and three Suburban League titles. He has been the track official since 1981 and clock operator at Revere sporting events since 1994.
- Dr. William Moats: He earned 11 total letters during his career in basketball, football, baseball and track. He was a four-year letter-winner on the Wooster College baseball team. He served as the football team physician from 1963 to 1999 and is a former Booster Club president. He is a member of the Revere High School Hall of Fame (1992), and the field house was named in his honor in 2000.
- Chuck Penzenik Sr.: He is the school’s all-time career football scoring leader with 264 points. He was all-league and all-district his junior and senior years. As a senior, he gained 1,595 yards on 150 carries. He led Summit County in scoring with 128 points. He excelled as a freshman at Miami University before injuries ended his career.
- Andy McCollum: He was a standout football player at Revere. At the University of Toledo, he was named all-league and academic all-league twice. He signed with the Arena League’s Milwaukee Mustangs before being signed to the Cleveland Browns’ practice squad. In 1994, he was signed by the New Orleans Saints, where he played for five years. He then played for the St. Louis Rams for nine years and won a Super Bowl. He was inducted into the Revere High School Hall of Fame in 2000, won the Ed Block Courage Award in 2002 and was inducted into the Toledo Athletic Hall of Fame in 2003, and his football number, 55, was retired by Revere in 2010.
- Jim Scavuzzo: He won state wrestling championships and held a 71-0 record during his junior and senior years. He finished with 105 career wins and was named an All-American. He went to Ohio State University on a scholarship.
- Kory (Fielitz) Rorabaugh: In volleyball, she was all-league three times. In track, she helped lead the team to a state runner-up finish in 1990 and was part of the state champion 4x800 relay team, also in 1990. In basketball, she was all-league all three years, leading the team to a 57-20 record over that time, and finished as the school’s all-time career scoring leader with 1,297 points. At Slippery Rock University, she was all-league all four years and is first in career rebounds and second in career scoring. She was inducted into the Slippery Rock Athletic Hall of Fame in 2004.
- Melissa Bickett: She earned 11 total letters in soccer, swimming, track and football. As a soccer goalie, she helped her team to two district titles. In track, she won the league shot put title twice. She won the league discus championship four times and the state title in 2000. At the University of Michigan, she was the Big Ten discus champion and competed at the NCAA Division I national meet.
- Samantha Danesis: She never lost a high school league match in tennis and contributed to four league championships for the team. As a junior, she was the runner-up in doubles at the state tournament. As a senior, she won the Division II state doubles championship with her sister, Stephanie. At Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, she was 74-16 in singles play and 67-18 in doubles. She was the team player of the year and conference player of the year all four years and was honored as the Heartland Conference Player of the Decade (1998-2009).
According to Heyn, these athletes will have plenty of outstanding fellow inductees in future years.
“There were many well-qualified nominees, which is exciting for future classes,” Heyn said. “One thing we did find is that many people thought to nominate someone, but just assumed someone else had already nominated him or her when no one did. It is better to have multiple nominations for a potential inductee rather than have a person never get nominated.”
Heyn said nominations for future inductees are accepted year-round and forms can be obtained at the Revere High School Athletic Office or by visiting www.revereschools.org/RAA.
More Sports News
- Canal Park creates fond memories
- Copley-Fairlawn Schools Foundation 5K, Fun Run set for Aug. 2
- Three to be inducted into Derby Hall of Fame
- Coventry H League Indians finish successful season
- Ellet Racers 10U softball team Portage District Champs
- Panthers U9 league champs
- Summit Metro Parks stresses trail etiquette
Calendar of Events
- Summertime Card Party - 7/25/2014
- Voices in the Valley: Jim Gill - 7/25/2014
- Wine Tasting and Silent Auction - 7/25/2014
- Tony Rio - 7/25/2014
- A New Adventure - 7/26/2014