UA athletes give back at SGWS
|Photo courtesy of Spring Garden Waldorf School|
In fall, the UA freshman spread 50 yards of new mulch on the SGWS playground, shown above.
According to Spring Garden Admissions Director Amy Hecky, “This was a big, difficult job, and mulching our play area is essential for the safety of our children. We are so grateful the students were willing to come do such hard work.”
In the spring, a new group of freshman athletes talked to Spring Garden fifth-grade students about what it means to be a college athlete. The college students spoke about the importance of sleep, nutrition and good study habits and the necessity for hours and hours of practice that might seem mundane but are essential for competition. They also spoke to the importance of resilience — experiencing failure and getting up to try again. The fifth-graders, at the time of the discussion, were training for a multi-school pentathlon competition.
At the end of their involvement, the UA students donated $200 to the school.
“We were so moved and honored by this kind gesture after all they had already bestowed on our school,” Hecky said. “We give a heartfelt thanks to The University of Akron and their generous student athletes.”
More Sports News
- Annual Fall Hiking Spree kicking off with preview event Aug. 30
- Project REBUILD accepts donation from Huth Charitable Foundation
- Copley team wins tournament
- Experienced CVCA girls tennis team facing tough schedule
- Cuyahoga Falls Little League team earns third district title
- Manchester football team looking for young players to step up
Calendar of Events
- Evil Ways, The Jimi Hendrix Tribute Experience and Ball and Chain - 8/28/2015
- End of Summer Jam with Sir Charles and Wendell B. - 8/28/2015
- Thyme for Dinner: Campfire Cooking - 8/28/2015
- Downloading with the 3M Cloud Library, eLearning the Easy Way, Excel Basics, Games and Tricks for Android Tablets - 8/29/2015
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 8/29/2015