UA athletes give back at SGWS
|Photo courtesy of Spring Garden Waldorf School|
In fall, the UA freshman spread 50 yards of new mulch on the SGWS playground, shown above.
According to Spring Garden Admissions Director Amy Hecky, “This was a big, difficult job, and mulching our play area is essential for the safety of our children. We are so grateful the students were willing to come do such hard work.”
In the spring, a new group of freshman athletes talked to Spring Garden fifth-grade students about what it means to be a college athlete. The college students spoke about the importance of sleep, nutrition and good study habits and the necessity for hours and hours of practice that might seem mundane but are essential for competition. They also spoke to the importance of resilience — experiencing failure and getting up to try again. The fifth-graders, at the time of the discussion, were training for a multi-school pentathlon competition.
At the end of their involvement, the UA students donated $200 to the school.
“We were so moved and honored by this kind gesture after all they had already bestowed on our school,” Hecky said. “We give a heartfelt thanks to The University of Akron and their generous student athletes.”
More Sports News
- Hoban defeats STVM in annual matchup
- Akron Marathon concludes inaugural Rubber City Race Series
- Highland girls golf team adds another league title to résumé
- Revere tennis team places second in tournament
- Highland boys golf team looking for more postseason success
- West Side Scoreboard
- Coventry girls tennis coach pleased with improvement
- Manchester girls tennis coach working to build foundation
- South Side Scoreboard
Calendar of Events
- Family Story Time - 10/5/2015
- American Sewing Guild: Pajama Pants Service Project - 10/6/2015
- University of Akron Symphonic Band/Concert Band - 10/7/2015
- Criss Angel Presents: The Supernaturalists - 10/7/2015
- Cooking Seminar and Happy Hour - 10/8/2015