UA athletes give back at SGWS
|Photo courtesy of Spring Garden Waldorf School|
In fall, the UA freshman spread 50 yards of new mulch on the SGWS playground, shown above.
According to Spring Garden Admissions Director Amy Hecky, “This was a big, difficult job, and mulching our play area is essential for the safety of our children. We are so grateful the students were willing to come do such hard work.”
In the spring, a new group of freshman athletes talked to Spring Garden fifth-grade students about what it means to be a college athlete. The college students spoke about the importance of sleep, nutrition and good study habits and the necessity for hours and hours of practice that might seem mundane but are essential for competition. They also spoke to the importance of resilience — experiencing failure and getting up to try again. The fifth-graders, at the time of the discussion, were training for a multi-school pentathlon competition.
At the end of their involvement, the UA students donated $200 to the school.
“We were so moved and honored by this kind gesture after all they had already bestowed on our school,” Hecky said. “We give a heartfelt thanks to The University of Akron and their generous student athletes.”
More Sports News
- Area residents take part in Girls on the Run 5K
- Thanks4Giving football game featuring local players
- Deck the Falls runs supporting Cuyahoga Falls Shop With a Cop program
- Walsh girls soccer team claims state championship
- St. Hilary School team receives sportsmanship award
- Revere U11 team wins tournament
- Turkey Trot 5K Run/Walk scheduled for Nov. 27
- Manchester alumnus inducted into M Club
- New run supporting Life Is Good No Matter What foundation
Calendar of Events
- The University of Akron Brass Choir’s “Home for Thanksgiving” - 11/23/2014
- Jerry McNamee book signing - 11/23/2014
- Metro Parks Book Club: “Choosing Wildness” by Claude Arbour - 11/23/2014
- Candlelight Walk - 11/23/2014
- The University of Akron Percussion Ensemble - 11/24/2014