RubberDucks crush Senators
Before the game, Akron manager Dave Wallace said, “I am excited to see Joe Colon [Akron’s starting pitcher] go out and throw the ball. I expect him to have a good game.”
Colon did, going five innings and giving up one run on three hits, but the offense was the real story. The Ducks had 16 hits and scored 11 runs. Designated hitter Adam Abraham led the way, going three-for-four with two doubles, a home run and six RBIs. This was his second game with the Ducks this year after being sent down from Columbus.
Shortstop Erik Gonzalez had his first hit, run and RBI at the AA level, going three-for-four with a walk.
In the top of the first inning, the Senators scored a run on a walk and back-to-back singles off of Joe Colon. The RubberDucks retaliated and scored three runs on Abraham’s first double of the night, a wild pitch and a sacrifice fly. Harrisburg kept it close by scoring a run on four walks in the top of the seventh. The RubberDucks struck back again on a RBI single by Gonzalez and a two-RBI double by Abraham.
Akron didn’t stop there, though. They scored five more runs off Bryan Harper in the bottom of the eighth. Jordan Smith hit a two-run single before Abraham drove in three runs with a home run to left-center field.
“I felt pretty comfortable up there. … Today was a very good day,” Abraham said.
Closer Shawn Armstrong shut down the Senators to end the game. The Senators and Ducks ended up splitting a four-game series with two wins apiece.
Editor’s note: The West Side Leader and the Akron RubberDucks are presenting an opportunity for young, aspiring journalists in fourth through 11th grades to see what it’s like to cover a professional baseball team for a day through Aug. 31. To apply for the West Side Leader Journalism Day, candidates need to submit why they should be considered in 50 words or less to email@example.com. Winners will be notified three to seven days before the game date.
More Sports News
- Cardboard Classic offers outdoor fun
- Seniors aiming to lead Firestone wrestling team
- Revere boys basketball building momentum for postseason
- CVNP receives funds for new trails
- West Side Scoreboard
- Green boys swim team undefeated in Suburban League
- Green girls swim team aiming for postseason success
- Summit Metro Parks’ Cardboard Classic offered outdoor fun
- South Side Scoreboard
Calendar of Events
- Akron Baroque: Super Bowl Baroque! - 2/1/2015
- Backyard Bird Feeding - 2/1/2015
- Melissa Harris-Perry - 2/2/2015
- Make a Pop-Up Book: grades 3-6 - 2/2/2015
- Fondues and Essential Oils - 2/3/2015