Area racers compete in Soap Box Derby
The only local racer to earn a first-place championship was Dylan Theisen, of Tallmadge, in the Rally Stock Division. Other area racers who competed included: Kendra Vandever, of Akron (Stock); Cailey Bozic, of Tallmadge (Super Stock); and Sarah Whitaker, of Norton (Masters).
Shown above is Whitaker and her car on the track.
The Rally champs who competed included:
√ Rally Masters: Haley Aull, of Green, and Sarah Longfellow, of Norton;
√ Rally Super Stock: Kayley Long, of Akron; Christian Viering, of Fairlawn; Alexis Sklack, of Green; Maria Fahey, of New Franklin; and Emily Harmon, Dejah Myers, Cheyenne Wilt and Danielle Wilt, all of Springfield; and
√ Rally Stock: Makayla Herrle, of Tallmadge; and Logan Gongaware and Nicholas Gongaware, of Perry.
Shown at right bottom is Viering racing down the track in his car.
Longfellow is shown at right top, at front, in her car (No. 504) as it races down the track.
Shown below, at center, is Long during her heat.
For complete race results, visit www.aasbd.org.
The day before the championship race, July 25, the National SuperKids Classic preliminary heats ran, with the finals taking place during the All-American race. Local racers included: David Wilt, of Springfield; Alex Bobick, of Twinsburg; David Kovacic, of Ravenna; and Dylan Whitted, of Newton Falls. No local racer took home the top prize.
For more information about the SuperKids Classic, go to www.SuperKidsOhio.org.
— By Kathleen Collins
Photos: Krista Galloway
More Sports News
- Hoban ends STVMís season in regional final
- Copley football team ends season as league champs
- STVM girls cross country team finishes strong at state meet
- West Side Scoreboard
- Copley-Fairlawn youth football team regular season champs
- Green football coach optimistic about teamís returning core
- Green cross country teams make mark in Federal League debut
- South Side Scoreboard
Calendar of Events
- Cookbook Book Club: Chestnuts - 11/30/2015
- Baby Time - 11/30/2015
- American Sewing Guild Fairlawn Group - 12/1/2015
- Boy=Girl - 12/2/2015
- Handmade Gifts for the Holidays: ages 3-6 - 12/2/2015