Area racers compete in Soap Box Derby
The only local racer to earn a first-place championship was Dylan Theisen, of Tallmadge, in the Rally Stock Division. Other area racers who competed included: Kendra Vandever, of Akron (Stock); Cailey Bozic, of Tallmadge (Super Stock); and Sarah Whitaker, of Norton (Masters).
Shown above is Whitaker and her car on the track.
The Rally champs who competed included:
√ Rally Masters: Haley Aull, of Green, and Sarah Longfellow, of Norton;
√ Rally Super Stock: Kayley Long, of Akron; Christian Viering, of Fairlawn; Alexis Sklack, of Green; Maria Fahey, of New Franklin; and Emily Harmon, Dejah Myers, Cheyenne Wilt and Danielle Wilt, all of Springfield; and
√ Rally Stock: Makayla Herrle, of Tallmadge; and Logan Gongaware and Nicholas Gongaware, of Perry.
Shown at right bottom is Viering racing down the track in his car.
Longfellow is shown at right top, at front, in her car (No. 504) as it races down the track.
Shown below, at center, is Long during her heat.
For complete race results, visit www.aasbd.org.
The day before the championship race, July 25, the National SuperKids Classic preliminary heats ran, with the finals taking place during the All-American race. Local racers included: David Wilt, of Springfield; Alex Bobick, of Twinsburg; David Kovacic, of Ravenna; and Dylan Whitted, of Newton Falls. No local racer took home the top prize.
For more information about the SuperKids Classic, go to www.SuperKidsOhio.org.
— By Kathleen Collins
Photos: Krista Galloway
More Sports News
- JCC pool opens with a splash
- Revere baseball looking to build on momentum from last season
- First-year coach looking to lead young Firestone baseball team to success
- PowerHouse gymnastics excel
- STVM CYO teams wins tourney
- Copley team declared champs
- Manchester softball team looking for deep postseason run
- Pitching primary strength for Springfield baseball team
Calendar of Events
- Movie Matinee - 3/30/2015
- Teen Program: String Art - 3/30/2015
- Spring Health and Wellness Series: Himalayan Singing Bowls - 3/30/2015
- University of Akron Symphony Orchestra with Ting-Wei Chang and Mario Buchanan - 3/31/2015
- Cheri Homaee - 3/31/2015