Area racers compete in Soap Box Derby
The only local racer to earn a first-place championship was Dylan Theisen, of Tallmadge, in the Rally Stock Division. Other area racers who competed included: Kendra Vandever, of Akron (Stock); Cailey Bozic, of Tallmadge (Super Stock); and Sarah Whitaker, of Norton (Masters).
The Rally champs that competed included:
√ Rally Masters: Haley Aull of Green, and Sarah Longfellow, of Norton;
√ Rally Super Stock: Kayley Long, of Akron; Christian Viering, of Fairlawn; Alexis Sklack, of Green; Maria Fahey, of New Franklin; and Emily Harmon, Dejah Myers, Cheyenne Wilt and Danielle Wilt, all of Springfield; and
√ Rally Stock: Makayla Herrle, of Tallmadge; and Logan Gongaware and Nicholas Gongaware, of Perry.
Shown at top is Harmon and her car on the track.
Shown below, at right, is Aull racing during her heat.
Shown at right bottom is Danielle Wilt racing down the track in her car.
Shown at right top, in front, is Myers in the center lane edging out a competitor.
For complete race results, visit www.aasbd.org.
The day before the championship race, July 25, the National SuperKids Classic took place, with the finals taking place during the All-American race. Local racers included: David Wilt, of Springfield; Alex Bobick, of Twinsburg; David Kovacic, of Ravenna; and Dylan Whitted, of Newton Falls. No local racer took home a top prize.
For more information about the SuperKids Classic, go to www.SuperKidsOhio.org.
— By Kathleen Collins
Photos: Krista Galloway
More Sports News
- Highland athletes sign letters of intent
- Firestone boys basketball team looking for return to form
- Revere soccer team ends season as finalists
- Buchtel girls basketball program ‘on the right track’
- Green boys basketball team powered by strong senior class
- New Springfield girls basketball coach building program
- Winter activities abundant in Summit Metro Parks
Calendar of Events
- Pre-Holiday Book Sale - 11/26/2014
- Nature Drawing for Adults - 11/26/2014
- Joseph Arthur - 11/26/2014
- Mo Mojo - 11/26/2014
- History Hike - 11/28/2014