Area racers compete in Soap Box Derby
The only local racer to earn a first-place championship was Dylan Theisen, of Tallmadge, in the Rally Stock Division. Other area racers who competed included: Kendra Vandever, of Akron (Stock); Cailey Bozic, of Tallmadge (Super Stock); and Sarah Whitaker, of Norton (Masters).
The Rally champs that competed included:
√ Rally Masters: Haley Aull of Green, and Sarah Longfellow, of Norton;
√ Rally Super Stock: Kayley Long, of Akron; Christian Viering, of Fairlawn; Alexis Sklack, of Green; Maria Fahey, of New Franklin; and Emily Harmon, Dejah Myers, Cheyenne Wilt and Danielle Wilt, all of Springfield; and
√ Rally Stock: Makayla Herrle, of Tallmadge; and Logan Gongaware and Nicholas Gongaware, of Perry.
Shown at top is Harmon and her car on the track.
Shown below, at right, is Aull racing during her heat.
Shown at right bottom is Danielle Wilt racing down the track in her car.
Shown at right top, in front, is Myers in the center lane edging out a competitor.
For complete race results, visit www.aasbd.org.
The day before the championship race, July 25, the National SuperKids Classic took place, with the finals taking place during the All-American race. Local racers included: David Wilt, of Springfield; Alex Bobick, of Twinsburg; David Kovacic, of Ravenna; and Dylan Whitted, of Newton Falls. No local racer took home a top prize.
For more information about the SuperKids Classic, go to www.SuperKidsOhio.org.
— By Kathleen Collins
Photos: Krista Galloway
More Sports News
- STVM wins first playoff game against North
- Copley wrestling coach says team ‘peaking right now’
- Revere wrestling team aiming for strong showing at sectionals
- Highland team captures league title
- Copley travel team victorious over Norton
- Revere team wins tournament
- West Side Scoreboard
- Green boys swim team aiming for strong showing at state
- Green girls swim team looking to finish season strong
- South Side Scoreboard
- Green wrestling team places second at meet
Calendar of Events
- The Nile and African Identity - 3/2/2015
- American Sewing Guild Fairlawn Group - 3/3/2015
- Civic Engagement and Managing Water Resources in Northeast Ohio and Globally - 3/3/2015
- The Nile Project: Interactive Performance & Capstone Concert - 3/3/2015
- Ohio and Erie Canal: A Timeline - 3/4/2015