RubberDucks come out on top in Fisher Cats matchup
It was a great day at Canal Park! Pregame, I took a tour of Canal Park and interviewed Manager Dave Wallace. During the interview, we talked about the remainder of the season. Things are looking pretty good for the RubberDucks. Manager Wallace is a great guy and thinks if his players stay focused, they will make the playoffs.
Next, I went up to the press box, met the other journalists, the official scorekeeper, scoreboard operator, announcer, and the camera crew.
The RubberDucks played the New Hampshire Fisher Cats. Pitching for the RubberDucks was Duke von Schamann. Duke went 7 innings, giving up a home run, 4 hits, 1 hit batter, and 2 runs.
In the first inning, the RubberDucks rallied for 4 runs on 4 hits and a walk. In the remainder of the game, they scored 5 more runs. Meanwhile, the Fisher Cats scored 1 against right handed pitcher Trey Haley. Final score was 9 to 3 for a RubberDucks win! Key players were Ronny Rodriguez, who went 2 for 4 with 2 singles. Alex Lavisky went 2 for 4 with 1 RBI. Ollie Linton went 2 for 5 with a triple and a double. Anthony Gallas went 3 for 5 with 3 RBIs.
Postgame, I interviewed Alex Lavisky and Duke von Schamann. Alex is on a 10-game hitting streak. He says he is being patient, waiting for his pitch. Duke has won 4 straight starts and walked only 2 batters in his last 5 starts.
I had a lot of fun being a journalist Sunday afternoon. Thank you, West Side Leader!
Editor’s note: West Side Leader Journalism Day is presented by the West Side Leader and the Akron RubberDucks and offers young, aspiring journalists in fourth through 11th grades to see what it’s like to cover a professional baseball team for a day through Aug. 31.
More Sports News
- Strong offense leads Woodridge to win
- Revere boys soccer team looking to defend state title
- Coach pleased with progress made by Revere girls tennis team
- Cleveland Futbol Club U14 team wins championship
- West Side Scoreboard
- Green girls soccer program building toward sustained success
- Springfield boys golf team finishes strong in PTC
- South Side Scoreboard
- Kick for the Cure raises record-breaking amount for charities
- Green mini majorettes cap clinic with performance
- Runners get in Halloween spirit
Calendar of Events
- Amazing World of Bats - 10/21/2014
- A New Beginning - 10/22/2014
- Bastille - 10/22/2014
- Weekday Walkers - 10/22/2014
- Wine and Canvas Painting Class - 10/22/2014