RubberDucks come out on top in Fisher Cats matchup
It was a great day at Canal Park! Pregame, I took a tour of Canal Park and interviewed Manager Dave Wallace. During the interview, we talked about the remainder of the season. Things are looking pretty good for the RubberDucks. Manager Wallace is a great guy and thinks if his players stay focused, they will make the playoffs.
Next, I went up to the press box, met the other journalists, the official scorekeeper, scoreboard operator, announcer, and the camera crew.
The RubberDucks played the New Hampshire Fisher Cats. Pitching for the RubberDucks was Duke von Schamann. Duke went 7 innings, giving up a home run, 4 hits, 1 hit batter, and 2 runs.
In the first inning, the RubberDucks rallied for 4 runs on 4 hits and a walk. In the remainder of the game, they scored 5 more runs. Meanwhile, the Fisher Cats scored 1 against right handed pitcher Trey Haley. Final score was 9 to 3 for a RubberDucks win! Key players were Ronny Rodriguez, who went 2 for 4 with 2 singles. Alex Lavisky went 2 for 4 with 1 RBI. Ollie Linton went 2 for 5 with a triple and a double. Anthony Gallas went 3 for 5 with 3 RBIs.
Postgame, I interviewed Alex Lavisky and Duke von Schamann. Alex is on a 10-game hitting streak. He says he is being patient, waiting for his pitch. Duke has won 4 straight starts and walked only 2 batters in his last 5 starts.
I had a lot of fun being a journalist Sunday afternoon. Thank you, West Side Leader!
Editor’s note: West Side Leader Journalism Day is presented by the West Side Leader and the Akron RubberDucks and offers young, aspiring journalists in fourth through 11th grades to see what it’s like to cover a professional baseball team for a day through Aug. 31.
More Sports News
- Hoban continues postseason with win over Coventry
- Copley girls basketball team ready for playoff run
- CVCA hockey turnaround includes school’s first-ever Baron Cup
- Sixth annual Battle of the Badges to benefit Falls Cancer Club
- Hoban defeats Coventry in sectional semifinal
- Manchester boys basketball hoping win streak continues
- Springfield boys bowling team targeting return to state tourney
Calendar of Events
- All City Musical: “Mary Poppins”: high school age students - 2/28/2017
- Adult Pottery - 2/28/2017
- PiYo with Morgan Webb - 2/28/2017
- Preschool Story Time: ages 2-5 - 2/28/2017
- Metalsmithing Basics - 2/28/2017