Consistency key to success for Hoban girls golf team
|The Archbishop Hoban High School girls golf team won the preseason Greater Akron Girls Golf League tournament. Shown from left are Kameron Simmons, Megan Dunn, Jenna Richter, Natalie Stanziano, Morgan Stubbendieck and coach Ben Klafczynski.|
|Photo courtesy of Ann Simmons|
“Even if they aren’t playing their best, everyone has shown up and has been grinding their matches out,” he said. “Another reason we are successful is because we are really deep. Our three, four, five and six golfers always seem to be around the same and put up big numbers. It takes a lot of the pressure off everyone to know that it is a team effort and you don’t have to rely on your second- or third-best player to hit a 40. They all have different personalities, but they all can be relied on.”
One of the team’s notable strengths, Klafczynski said, is the coachability of the players.
“They all play well, they are really good friends and they are good to work with,” he said. “The thing about our team is that everyone is very coachable. The girls listen and they want to do things the right way. We have a very good foundation built on that.”
Klafczynski said the team’s current foundation also is built upon an especially strong junior class. Leading the way for the team are five juniors (with comments on each by the coach):
- Morgan Stubbendieck: “She has kind of led our team this year and for the past few years. She has the most consistency and the best scoring average. She is a good team leader and I can always rely on her.”
- Kameron Simmons: “She has a great personality and she’s a great team player. She is someone you always know what to expect and you can count on her. There isn’t a big variance in her scores and she’s always right there in the mix.”
- Jenna Richter: “Jenna is definitely one of our hardest workers. She cares about the game and she has fun doing it. She’s been our second-best in scoring average and she is only getting better.”
- Natalie Stanziano: “She has some of our best scores so far. On any given day, she’s someone who can shoot a 42, and that’s really good to have on our team. She’s someone who will almost always have her score count. That’s just who she is.”
- Samantha Franklin: “She has come up big for us and played clutch golf in some of her matches. Sam’s a good student of the game. She has a good swing and she knows how to putt. She is someone I expect to really develop for us.”
Another player in the top mix, Klafczynski said, is freshman Hannah Finley.
“I’ve been putting her at No. 2, because I think she’s someone who really likes the higher competition. She likes to play against the best, because that only makes her play better,” he said. “She has a very good work ethic and she does things the right way. She has a great pre-shot routine. By her senior year, I think she will end up being one of the best players to come out of Hoban.”
The lone senior on this year’s squad is Maggie Cincurak.
“I expect she will provide good leadership for the team. She has a good personality and everyone likes her,” the coach said. “She hits the ball very well, and she is working on her short game. She will be able to help us out and contribute.”
Hoban won the preseason Greater Akron Girls Golf League (GAGGL) tournament, and Klafczynski said his team has the ability to take home the season title.
“I know there are a lot of good teams in the league, but I think we can be the team to beat if we continue to be consistent,” he said. “We want to win the league and we want to get out of the first round of the state tournament. I think we can do that because of our consistency and our depth.”
More Sports News
- Hits give RubberDucks opening day victory
- Revere boys tennis team working toward league title this season
- West Side Cause for Celebration - Sports
- Upperclassmen leading Highland boys tennis team to success
- West Side Scoreboard
- Green boys track team looking for young athletes to step up
- Newcomers to Manchester boys tennis team working to improve
- South Side Scoreboard
Calendar of Events
- Figure Drawing and Painting with Model - 4/21/2015
- Teen Program: You’re a Poet and You Didn’t Know It - 4/22/2015
- Steve Cipriano - 4/22/2015
- University of Akron Concert Band - 4/22/2015
- Feeding Time: ages 5 and older - 4/22/2015