‘King’ leads kids at annual bike event
The annual event recognized and rewarded Akron-area children who have achieved academic success, improved their physical fitness and made important contributions to the community, according to organizers. Among the youths who participated were Akron residents NyKeya Stallworth, 11, and Alexis Robert, 11, shown at right top.
|Photos: Krista Galloway|
What brought many to the event was James, who is shown at left bottom as he completes the ride. The Cleveland Cavaliers star and Akron native also used his star power to attract celebrities to the event. Shown at right bottom, from left, are Nick Cannon, host of “America’s Got Talent,” Little JJ and DJ Lance Rock, of the Nickelodeon show “Yo Gabba Gabba!”
Organizers said proceeds from the event will be donated to the Akron Area YMCA and the Akron Urban League. They added the Urban League will commit its proceeds to its educational, youth and community programming. The Akron Area YMCA will use its proceeds for its “Partners With Youth” financial assistance program, which makes sure YMCA programs are available to everyone, regardless of their ability to pay.
The event featured three different rides — an 8-mile course with James and other celebrity guests, a 3-mile family ride and a Kids Invitational Ride, which was for designated youths by invitation only. Children nominated for the Kids Invitational were selected based on character, volunteerism or acts of merit by Akron area agencies, according to event officials.
More Sports News
- Swim meet honors local swimmer
- West Side Scoreboard
- Copley girls swim team sets ‘lofty goals’ this season
- ‘Speed and quickness’ key for Copley boys basketball team
- Metro Parks recognizes 50-year Fall Hiking Spree hikers
- Copley Cosmos U13 team ends season as champs
- Revere fourth-grade cheer team places first at tournament
- New coach changing culture of Coventry girls basketball team
- Winning record goal for Coventry boys bowling team
- South Side Scoreboard
- G.P.A. Turkey Trot raises funds for scholarships
Calendar of Events
- Walk Down Memory Lane - 12/11/2013
- Peter White with Mindi Abair and Rick Braun - 12/11/2013
- GriefCare Place - 12/11/2013
- Romp with Rudolph - 12/12/2013
- Boy=Girl - 12/13/2013