‘King’ leads kids at annual bike event
The annual event recognized and rewarded Akron-area children who have achieved academic success, improved their physical fitness and made important contributions to the community, according to organizers. Among the youths who participated were Akron residents NyKeya Stallworth, 11, and Alexis Robert, 11, shown at right top.
|Photos: Krista Galloway|
What brought many to the event was James, who is shown at left bottom as he completes the ride. The Cleveland Cavaliers star and Akron native also used his star power to attract celebrities to the event. Shown at right bottom, from left, are Nick Cannon, host of “America’s Got Talent,” Little JJ and DJ Lance Rock, of the Nickelodeon show “Yo Gabba Gabba!”
Organizers said proceeds from the event will be donated to the Akron Area YMCA and the Akron Urban League. They added the Urban League will commit its proceeds to its educational, youth and community programming. The Akron Area YMCA will use its proceeds for its “Partners With Youth” financial assistance program, which makes sure YMCA programs are available to everyone, regardless of their ability to pay.
The event featured three different rides — an 8-mile course with James and other celebrity guests, a 3-mile family ride and a Kids Invitational Ride, which was for designated youths by invitation only. Children nominated for the Kids Invitational were selected based on character, volunteerism or acts of merit by Akron area agencies, according to event officials.
More Sports News
- Hoban wins second consecutive state football title
- Walsh girls soccer team adds to winning culture with 10th state title
- West Side Saints win CYO championship
- Warriors, Bulldogs in spotlight following state wins
- Towpath men’s team finishes fourth at nationals
- Walsh girls soccer team adds 10th state championship
- Green girls swim team looking to join league’s ‘upper tier’
- Parks offer winter activities
Calendar of Events
- “America’s Got Talent” - 12/10/2016
- Dynamics Community Theater’s “Miracle on 34th Street” - 12/10/2016
- Haiku Study Group - 12/10/2016
- John Cleese and “The Holy Grail” - 12/10/2016
- Jingle Bell Bash to benefit Ronald McDonald House of Akron - 12/10/2016