Plan ahead for lawn care needs
If the dandelions and weeds in your yard or the tree limbs hanging down have you thinking about hiring a lawn care or tree service company, be prepared to do some research before you commit to a contract or pay in advance, according to Summit County Consumer Affairs officials.
“As with any service, there are always a few bad apples out there looking to take your money and provide you shoddy work or none at all,” said Cynthia Sich, director for the Summit County Office of Consumer Affairs. “Do not be rushed into agreeing to the work until you know some facts. First, check the company’s complaint history with our office before hiring them.”
Then there are a number of other factors to consider when selecting a landscaping or tree service company:
1. Get a business card that lists the company name, address and telephone numbers and write down the full name of the person soliciting you.
2. Contact a couple of companies for estimates and be sure they include a list of the services.
3. If you plan to have pesticides applied to your yard, make sure the company and/or individual you are considering is licensed with the Ohio Department of Agriculture — ask to see the license.
4. Find out if the company has liability insurance and if the work is guaranteed.
5. You may be given a contract to sign for their services. Take your time and read it carefully, as some contracts automatically renew service year to year unless you call to cancel. Know what services you are paying for.
6. With same-day tree-trimming services, pay only after the work is completed and you are satisfied. There have been far too many homeowners complaining they have paid in advance for tree service and the work was not completed or started at all.
Finally, the office has received complaints from residents who have reported receiving bills for lawn care service they did not authorize. Do not be intimidated into paying for services to which you did not agree. Contact the company, and if no resolution can be reached, file a complaint with the Summit County Office of Consumer Affairs at 330-643-2879 or download the complaint form at www.co.summit.oh.us/conaffairs.htm.
More Lawn & Garden
Calendar of Events
- Spring Nature Hikes - 5/22/2013
- Summit Children’s Choir - 5/22/2013
- “Calamity Jane” - 5/23/2013
- Book Sale and Bizarre Bazaar - 5/25/2013
- Art Sale - 5/25/2013