Position paper: Ohio Supreme Court justice
Yvette McGee Brown (incumbent) vs. Sharon Kennedy
Political affiliation: Republican
What are the three most important issues facing the court and how would you address them?
“The three most important issues facing the court are access to the courts and maintaining the independence of the judiciary during times of financial crisis, improving public confidence in the judicial system, and judicial adherence to Constitutional limitations of power.
“In times of financial hardship all branches of government, including the judiciary, should find meaningful ways to reduce the cost of government without limiting access to the courts or eroding the independence of the judiciary. I would support and work with courts within municipal and county systems to establish budget workgroups to discuss the current financial challenges, assist in the analysis of suggestions, and work to immediately implement budget reduction measures while ensuring access to courts and an independent judiciary.
“Often, there are myths and misconceptions about the judicial system. These myths and misconceptions cause a lack of confidence in the judicial system. I would improve and increase civic education and promote decision-making transparency to dispel myths and correct misconceptions about the judicial system.
“Under our form of limited government there are three separate, but equal branches of government. Judges must recognize the Constitutional scope and limitation of their authority and apply the law, as written, to the facts and evidence without regard to personal views or opinions. As a Justice I would continue my current work as an educator and mentor of new judges with an emphasis on the limitation of our authority and the need to uphold the law to promote a stable and predictable legal system.”
- Position papers: Akron City Council at-large Democratic candidates
- Position papers: Akron City Council at-large Republican candidates
- Akron elections reflect change in terms
- West Side Political News & Notes
- Position papers: City of Akron mayor
- Position papers: Akron City Council, Ward 4
- Position papers: Cuyahoga Falls Council, Ward 8
- Position papers: Cuyahoga Falls Council, at large
- Position papers: City of Green mayor
Calendar of Events
- Taste It and Make It Food Preparation Series - 9/3/2015
- “The Divergent Series: Insurgent” - 9/3/2015
- Hooked on Books: “My Antonia” by Willa Cather - 9/3/2015
- Small Footprint: Getting Started - 9/3/2015
- Tai Chi and Self Defense - 9/4/2015