How to select right carpeting for your home
Although many people may tout the benefits of hardwood flooring over carpeting, there are plenty of individuals who like to have the soft and luxurious feeling of carpeting underfoot. Selecting the right carpeting for a particular room and purpose can be a bit daunting because of the abundance of available colors and materials.
According to the Carpet and Rug Institute, carpeting is an added safety measure that makes play areas safer, potentially lessening the severity of an injury in the event of a fall. This is why carpeting is often preferred in children’s rooms and play areas.
There are other advantages to carpeting, as well. It can help insulate rooms in the summer and winter. It can be easier on feet than a hard floor, and few materials absorb sound better than carpet.
Choosing the right carpeting for a room comes down to identifying the kind of foot traffic you expect in your home and which carpeting options most suit your needs. Here are some tips to get started.
• Don’t overlook padding. Padding can make the difference in the way carpeting feels and how long it lasts. The thickest or most expensive padding isn’t necessarily the best or the best-suited for your home. However, it is wise to pick a pad that matches the type of carpeting you’re selecting. You might be able to go with a thinner pad in low-traffic rooms and under dense carpeting like berber. In high-traffic rooms, choose thicker, more durable padding. Padding prevents carpet backing and fibers from coming apart over a duration of time, so if you’re spending a lot on the carpet, it pays to invest in a padding that will last the duration of the carpet.
• Recognize the type of carpeting that best suits your needs. There are many different types of carpeting, and they won’t all be the perfect match for your home. For example, plush and saxony carpets are better in low-traffic areas. These carpets may show footprints and also vacuum tracks and dirt. Berber, meanwhile, is more flat and dense, making it highly effective at masking stains and tracks. Textured carpets like frieze are cut from fibers of different heights, so they mask stains and are also softer on the feet than berbers. An entryway might be better off carpeted in a dense carpeting, while a bedroom might be better with plush carpeting.
Carpeting also comes in stain-resistant varieties or low-maintenance options. These are generally best in homes with pets and children. However, you might be able to save money by opting out of special treatments to resist stains and simply invest in a steam vacuum instead.
• Choose color wisely. Choosing a color comes down to preference and how much the room will be used. Although light, neutral colors are often preferred because they work well in just about any room, lighter colored carpets will show stains much more easily than other carpet colors. Textured, multi-colored carpets are preferable to hide stains and can look just as elegant as solid-colored carpeting.
Much in the way paint colors are chosen, carpeting colors come down to personal preference. Drama might be created with bold colors that draw the eye to the carpet. However, for those who want the carpet to fade into the background instead of upstaging decor, neutral colors are better.
• Hire a good installer. There are many beautiful carpets available, but unless you choose a reliable installer and store, you might end up paying more or receiving subpar service. Poll friends and family members for recommendations to help you narrow down options, then be sure to have stores price out materials separate from installation so you can make more accurate comparisons. Also, you don’t necessarily need to use an installer provided by the carpet store. You can shop around to find a separate installer or even do the work yourself.
Remember to take your time when selecting carpeting, as your decision will have long-lasting effects.
This information was provided by MetroCreativeConnection.
More Home Improvement
Calendar of Events
- Downloading with the 3M Cloud Library, eLearning the Easy Way, Excel Basics, Games and Tricks for Android Tablets - 8/29/2015
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 8/29/2015
- Full Moon Paddle - 8/29/2015
- Bad to the Bone with the Whiskey Kings, Hotel California with the Twistoffs - 8/29/2015
- Keepers of the Art Music Showcase - 8/29/2015