Position paper: state senator, District 28
Robert Gregory Roush vs. Thomas Sawyer (incumbent)
Thomas Sawyer (incumbent)
Political affiliation: Democrat
What would you do to improve the economy in Ohio?
“The government, of course, does not actually manage our economy, nor should it. But to the degree that our state and local governments shape the environment in which Ohio’s economy functions, they all need to work together far more closely than we do today. Compatible revenue mechanisms (taxes, fees, tuition, etc.) and collaborative service delivery systems (public safety, infrastructure, health, etc.) service are the keys to the much discussed, but little practiced, regional cooperation that can lead to real economic development alliances and lasting growth.”
What are the other major issues facing your district and how would you address them?
“Fixing the school funding fromula in the state of Ohio touches virtually every element of our state and local economy and millions of lives. Ohio schools have been living with a structural imbalnce between state and local funding for more than two decades.
“I have a two part proposal, which I plan to introduce in January, that includes both constitutional amendments as well as statutory changes to Ohio law. Its net goal is to inventory the elements of a constitutionally compliant ‘thorough and efficient eduation,’ cost them out, and provide for the distribution of the needed funding to schools on a per-pupil basis. In the end, we need to establish a fair and stable balance between state and local funding sources that Ohioans can rely upon.”
- Position papers: Akron City Council at-large Democratic candidates
- Position papers: Akron City Council at-large Republican candidates
- Akron elections reflect change in terms
- West Side Political News & Notes
- Position papers: City of Akron mayor
- Position papers: Akron City Council, Ward 4
- Position papers: Cuyahoga Falls Council, Ward 8
- Position papers: Cuyahoga Falls Council, at large
- Position papers: City of Green mayor
Calendar of Events
- Taste It and Make It Food Preparation Series - 9/3/2015
- “The Divergent Series: Insurgent” - 9/3/2015
- Hooked on Books: “My Antonia” by Willa Cather - 9/3/2015
- Small Footprint: Getting Started - 9/3/2015
- Tai Chi and Self Defense - 9/4/2015