Music, colorful floats delight at Welcome Santa Parade
|Photos: Ken Crisafi|
More than 70 units, from bands to costumed characters and floats, brought a festive atmosphere to South Main Street for the city’s 26th annual parade. Ken Babby, new owner of the Akron Aeros, was honored as Grand Marshal in the parade that marked the start of the holiday season in Akron.
The parade also featured the St. Vincent-St. Mary High School Marching Band, shown at right lower middle, which captured first place in the Marching Band category.
Among the units that brought cheers from the crowd was the “Nutcracker” float by Ballet Theatre of Ohio, which is pictured at right upper middle. The float won second place in that category.
The Manchester Girl Scouts also won an award, taking second place in specialty units.
Parade spectators also enjoyed participants such as the Antique Ford Model A Club, whose lineup of classic cars is shown at right bottom.
Karen Lynch and Karen Hogan from the All-American Parade Judges Association served as judges for the parade, according to city officials.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
More Holiday Highlights
- CASA suggests ways to give back for families
- Easy ideas for holiday wreaths
- How to gift people who aren’t family
- Cut costs of holiday travel
- Metro Parks collects trees for mulch
- Fairlawn City Women’s Club selects lighting winners
- TubaChristmas all about the brass
- Area children take part in Shop With a Cop
Calendar of Events
- Crooked River Walk - 12/21/2014
- “A Christmas Carol” - 12/21/2014
- Winter White Out - 12/21/2014
- Puppet Show: Holiday Happenings - 12/21/2014
- Johnny and the Apple Stompers and Ed Caner - 12/21/2014