Easy ways to reuse, recycle holiday giftwrap
The giftwrap industry earns roughly $2.6 billion in retail sales each year. Tons of paper trash is generated from the giftwrap people use to conceal gifts for Christmas, Chanukah and other special occasions throughout the year. As much fun as all the different patterns of wrapping paper can be, giftwrap is a relatively unnecessary bit of decor, purchased with the intent of being ripped away and discarded.
But there are many ways that wrapping paper can be reused or recycled. Here are some:
1. Save some scraps of paper to use for children’s art projects at school and home.
2. Use in scrapbooking or as an inexpensive matting for photos.
3. Wrap other presents in paper that has been preserved well.
4. Shred the paper and use it as filler in packing boxes or as a decorative filling for gift bags.
5. Use bits of paper to make gift tags.
6. Employ origami and use leftover giftwrap as your paper of choice.
7. Line shelves or drawers with the paper to protect surfaces.
8. Make decoupage holiday decorations for next year.
9. Crumple up the paper and use it to stuff into tall boots so they keep their shape.
10. Trace the pattern of an envelope on the paper and cut out your own envelopes for little notes or holiday greetings for next year.
11. Buy a reusable coffee cup that enables you to change the insert. Use a piece of giftwrap to change the design.
12. Cover a “holey” bulletin board with a piece of giftwrap for a festive look.
13. Find out which types of paper can be collected by curbside recycling and wrap it up with your newspapers.
14. Add some wrapping paper that’s free of harmful dyes to your compost heap.
15. Use paper to line a birdcage.
16. Give paper to the children to play with. Chances are they can come up with many other great ideas.
This information was provided courtesy of MetroCreativeConnection.
More Holiday Highlights
Calendar of Events
- Spaghetti Dinner - 5/18/2013
- Amadeus Sinfonietta - 5/18/2013
- Book fair - 5/18/2013
- Sounds of Spring - 5/18/2013
- Highland Middle School Art Show - 5/18/2013