ASPCA provides wintertime pet tips
During the winter, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) is reminding pet owners that the cold weather can be dangerous for four-legged family members.
Below are some safety tips to keep in mind when temperatures are low:
“It is important to always walk your dog on a leash, but when it snows, this becomes critical,” said Louise Murray, vice president of the ASPCA’s Bergh Memorial Animal Hospital. “During a snowstorm, dogs can lose their scent and easily become lost. More dogs are lost during the winter than during any other season, so make sure yours always wears her ID tags.”
Never shave your dog down to the skin in winter, as a full coat will provide more warmth. When you bathe your dog in the colder months, be sure to completely dry him before taking him out for a walk. When it comes to short-haired dogs, consider getting him a coat or sweater with a high collar or turtleneck that covers his whole back.
“Never leave your dog or cat alone in a car, especially during extremely cold weather,” advised Murray. “The temperature in the car drops very quickly, and it is not a safe place for your pet to be unattended.”
Make sure your companion animal has a warm place to sleep, off the floor and away from all drafts. A cozy dog or cat bed with a warm blanket or pillow is perfect.
This information was provided courtesy of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
- Bark in the Park benefits Humane Society
- Dog’s illness leads woman to discover hidden cancer
- Poppy searching for new owner
- Fraiser ready for new life
- Sweet Socks hoping for right fit
- Bonded pair yearning for new life together
- Blue available for adoption
- Friendly Specter looking for new home
- Mary seeking best friend
Calendar of Events
- Yoga and Mimosa; Yoga and Wine - 4/24/2017
- The Art of Journaling; Men Facing Grief Support Group - 4/24/2017
- Fiction Book Club: “Truly Madly Guilty” - 4/25/2017
- Yoga for Homeschoolers: ages 8-12 - 4/25/2017
- PiYo with Morgan Webb - 4/25/2017