How to reduce noise in homes
|Adding more insulation to the walls of your home can help reduce outside noise from entering it.|
|Photo courtesy of MetroCreativeConnection|
- Use sound-dampening furnishings. There are many benefits to having hardwood flooring throughout a home, including its beauty. But hardwood flooring could reflect sound waves and cause them to echo around the house. Area rugs can muffle the sound, but carpeting is a good method of sound insulation. The carpeting and the padding underneath will absorb sounds, including footfalls on floors above. Hanging pictures on the wall and using drapery on windows also can absorb sound and prevent it from bouncing off of bare walls.
- Change windows. If sounds are coming from outside, it might be worth the investment to upgrade windows, although this can prove costly. Many homeowners with outdoor noise issues install triple-paned windows, which reduce sound and also provide significant energy savings. Changing the window frames is another option. Metal frames will transmit sound better than wood, fiberglass or vinyl.
- Install door sweeps. A door sweep is not only effective at preventing drafts, but sweeps can prevent sounds from coming out as well.
- Check where drywall ends. Most drywall is not installed flush with the floor surface. Remove the base molding and you might find an inch gap from the floor where sound can escape. You can reduce noise by using a spray foam insulation in this area and then replacing the molding. A similar tactic can be used around electrical outlets.
- Add additional insulation. Thicker walls make it hard for sound to travel throughout a home. You also can install a sound-stopping wallboard over existing drywall. Putting more insulation in the attic can reduce weather sounds generated from rain falling on the roof.
- Plant sound-buffering trees and shrubs. For sounds that are generated outdoors, a sound bluff, like a line of thick bushes, can dull sound and provide added privacy.
This information was provided courtesy of MetroCreativeConnection.
More Home Improvement
Calendar of Events
- Exploring the Tamarack Bog - 7/5/2015
- History of the Rock and Herb Garden - 7/5/2015
- Freedom Brass Band - 7/5/2015
- Acid Cats - 7/6/2015
- Cuyahoga Falls Community Band - 7/6/2015