Addressing drafts around the house
Homeowners know that no home is perfect. Sometimes a home’s biggest issue can be relatively small and easy to fix, while other issues are more substantial and require a bit more time and money.
Drafts around the house fall somewhere in the middle of that spectrum. Though not necessarily difficult or costly to fix, drafts can be an uncomfortable nuisance and might require a little more elbow grease than more minor issues around a house. The following are a few ways homeowners can address drafts around the house.
- Check the fireplace. Homeowners with a fireplace might be inviting drafts in. If the damper on the fireplace is open, drafts will enter the home. Simply close the damper and the home will likely get a lot less drafty.
- Check for gaps around windows and doors. The most likely culprit if a home is drafty is gaps around windows and doors. Windows and doors that aren’t properly sized are no doubt inviting drafts into the home. The solution to this problem doesn’t have to break the bank. Instead of replacing old windows and doors, use weather stripping and press it into the gaps around the frame. This can block drafts, and you should be able to notice an immediate difference.
- Hang heavier curtains or drapes. Another way to address a drafty room is to hang thick curtains or drapes in front of the window. The heavier the material, the more effective it will be at keeping cold air from circulating around the room.
- Inspect the attic. If your home has an attic, that oft-forgotten room upstairs might be the source of the home’s drafts. When a home is heated, the air inside that home is pressurized, driving that air through ceiling penetrations and into the attic. This creates leaks that allow warmth to escape the house while inviting colder air in. Plug any air leaks into the attic, which should eliminate drafts as well as condensation.
This information was provided courtesy of MetroCreativeConnection.
More Home Improvement
Calendar of Events
- Family Story Time - 4/27/2017
- GriefCare Place - 4/27/2017
- History of Gorge Metro Park - 4/27/2017
- Ballroom Dance Lessons - 4/27/2017
- Rock-a-Bye Tales: 6 to 24 months - 4/27/2017