West Side Pets News & Notes
Take dogs to work June 21
GREATER AKRON — Pet Sitters International (PSI) officials said tomorrow, June 21, will be the 15th annual Take Your Dog to Work Day.
The event highlights the benefits of pets, as well as the need for more pet adoptions, according to PSI officials.
They added that the American Heart Association has said that pet ownership can reduce the risk of heart disease.
“There’s no question that pets enhance our lives,” said PSI President Patti Moran. “Experts tout the benefits of pet ownership, from reduced stress to increased physical activity. Take Your Dog to Work Day provides pet lovers with a unique way to celebrate their dogs and give back to the pet community by promoting adoptions.”
PSI officials said they don’t have a way to track how many dogs spent the day at their owner’s workplace last year, but more than 287,000 people visited the event website, www.takeyourdog.com, nearly double the number from the previous year.
Major companies like Google and Amazon are known for their pet-friendly atmospheres, PSI officials said, but the organization is finding that many other companies are interested in joining the dogs-at-work trend, if only for one day.
The organizations invite those interested in participating in Take Your Dog to Work Day to download the free 2013 Action Pack on the event website. It includes instructions for planning an event and a sample dog-friendly work policy.
Kathleen Folkerth contributed to this report.
- Motorcycle ride benefiting Wags 4 Warriors
- Hail, Caesar! This gentle boy needs home
- Hope aiming for active family
- Playful Fernando ready for new life
- Bonded pair seeking forever home
- Dog duo needs one home
- Therapy dog is special treat at Green Intermediate
- Girl Scouts help pet rescue, earn Bronze Award
Calendar of Events
- Adult Ceramics - 5/24/2016
- Akron History: Glendale Cemetery - 5/24/2016
- Cardio Hike - 5/24/2016
- Meet Me in the Garden: Succulent Wreath - 5/25/2016
- A Night at the Museum: Real Women. Real Talk - 5/25/2016