West Side Election News & Notes
Ohio Supreme Court rules Coughlin eligible for ballot
COLUMBUS — In a unanimous ruling announced Sept. 9, the Ohio Supreme Court issued an order to compel the Summit County Board of Elections (BOE) to allow former Ohio Sen. Kevin Coughlin to be a candidate for the Stow Municipal Clerk of Courts.
“I’m grateful to the Ohio Supreme Court for upholding my right to run,” Coughlin said in a press release. “Nothing can stop the voters from having a chance to elect someone who will run this nonpartisan judicial office as a professional.
“If it was the intention of the bosses to slow my campaign down, they failed,” Coughlin added. “We have been campaigning hard all throughout the court district, and I’m encouraged by the support we have received, including the endorsements of several Republican and Democratic community leaders.”
On July 15, the BOE rejected Coughlin’s nominating petitions to run for the office based on its position that Coughlin’s history as a Republican disqualifies him from running as a nonpartisan candidate. Coughlin said Ohio law, however, authorizes nonpartisan candidacies for municipal judges and clerks of court. Candidates who seek to be nominated as nonpartisans are not required to be unaffiliated with a political party, he added.
Already on the ballot for the Nov. 5 General Election for the seat are Democrat Diana Colavecchio, who was appointed to the seat earlier this year upon the resignation of Lisa Zeno Carano, and Republican Frank Larson, mayor of Munroe Falls.
The Stow court serves the communities of Cuyahoga Falls, Peninsula and Boston Township.
Coughlin represented Summit County in the Ohio Senate from 2001 to 2011 and in the Ohio House of Representatives from 1997 to 2001.
Kathleen Folkerth contributed to this report.
- Position papers: Fairlawn City Council, Ward 5
- Position papers: Copley Township Board of Trustees
- Position papers: Bath Township Board of Trustees
- Position papers: Akron City Council at-large Democratic candidates
- Position papers: Akron City Council at-large Republican candidates
- Position papers: City of Akron mayor
- Position papers: Akron City Council, Ward 4
- Position papers: Cuyahoga Falls Council, Ward 8
- Position papers: Cuyahoga Falls Council, at large
- Position papers: City of Green mayor
- Position papers: Coventry Board of Trustees
- Voters will vote for one candidate for Coventry trustee in the
Calendar of Events
- Tai Chi and Self Defense - 9/4/2015
- Lil’ Sprouts: age 3 and up - 9/4/2015
- The Machine with The Moxies - 9/4/2015
- Peninsula Flea - 9/5/2015
- History Hike - 9/5/2015