St. Sebastian garden continues to grow
|Photo courtesy of St. Sebastian Parish School|
Another goal of the garden, in addition to its use as a learning tool, is to provide community members with access to fresh produce. All of the vegetables grown in the garden are donated to the Good Samaritan Hunger Center and used to support its free meal program.
Recently, the eighth-grade students worked in the school garden, shown above, to harvest vegetables they had planted as seed last spring. Carrots, beets, parsley and kohlrabi were picked and delivered to the Good Samaritan Hunger Center.
The students also checked out the flowers that grew over the summer in the Mount Vernon flower bed. The seeds from this garden were purchased by eighth-grade science teacher Betty Indriolo last spring when she visited George Washington’s home. To continue this project, the classes will gather seeds to use for planting next spring.
More Lawn & Garden
Calendar of Events
- Adventurers of the Year Amy and Dave Freeman - 3/27/2015
- Alice Tan Ridley - 3/27/2015
- Astronomy Club of Akron: NASA Chief Pilot Alan Mickelwright - 3/27/2015
- Brass Band of the Western Reserve - 3/28/2015
- Basket Weaving 101: Easter Basket - 3/28/2015