• FAIRLAWN — Heaven Can Wait Rescue and Adoptions will participate in the Pet Supplies Plus National Pet Adoption Weekend event Oct. 19-20 from noon to 5 p.m. at Fairlawn Pet Supplies Plus, 2789 W. Market St. In order to promote the adoption of homeless animals nationwide during National Pet Adoption Month, Pet Supplies Plus is encouraging the public to come out to meet local cats and dogs looking for homes. Heaven Can Wait Rescue & Adoptions will be the rescue group on hand both days for this event with dogs and cats available for adoption. Heaven Can Wait rescues animals from Summit County Animal Control and other Ohio facilities. For any donation or adoption at the event, raffle tickets will be given to be entered into a drawing for prizes courtesy of Pet Supplies Plus. Donated items from the Heaven Can Wait wish list also will be accepted all weekend. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• SUMMIT COUNTY — The 14th annual Hiking Spree for Dogs has been expanded to three dates this year:
√ Oct. 20, 1 p.m., Liberty Park’s Pond Brook Conservation Area, 3973 E. Aurora Road in Twinsburg;
√ Nov. 3, 1 p.m., Silver Creek Metro Park’s Pheasant Run Area, 5000 Hametown Road in Norton; and
√ Nov. 17, 1 p.m., Goodyear Heights Metro Park’s Pioneer Area, 550 Frazier Ave. in East Akron.
Dogs will receive a treat at the end of each hike. Pets must be leashed and under their owner’s control at all times. Participants should bring bags to pick up after their pets. People can earn Fall Hiking Spree credit for the Nov. 17 hike. The other programs can be used as a “Hiker’s Choice” option during the 50th annual Fall Hiking Spree, through Nov. 30. To earn Fall Hiking Spree rewards, human hikers must complete at least eight designated trails. Spree forms will be available at all three events. Call 330-865-8065 for more information.
• MEDINA COUNTY — The Medina County Park District will host the following programs. For more information or to register where required, call 330-722-9364.
√ K-9 First Aid, Oct. 20, 2 p.m., Wolf Creek Environmental Center, 6100 Ridge Road in Sharon. This American Red Cross-based K-9 first aid class will teach the basics needed to keep a dog alive until you can get professional assistance. Instruction in this two-hour course includes bandaging techniques, splinting methods, immediate first aid for burns and frostbite and more. Also covered, with the aid of a dog mannequin, is proper mouth-to-snout resuscitation, K-9 CPR and how to find and check for a dog’s pulse. There is no fee for instruction and class handouts, but a first-aid book with DVD will be available to purchase for $17. Register by Oct. 19 for this program, which is for ages 16 to adult.
√ K-9 Kapers, Oct. 20, 3 p.m. Allardale, 401 Remsen Road in Granger. K-9 Kapers provides dog owners with an opportunity to socialize their pets with other dogs. All dogs must have an accompanying adult and no longer than an 8-foot, nonretractable leash. Participants must maintain control of their dogs at all times. A towel for muddy feet and a water bowl are recommended.
• TWINSBURG — On Oct. 26 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., PAWSibilities®, Humane Society of Greater Akron will host an educational day and adopt-a-thon to celebrate National Pit Bull Awareness Day at its 7996 Darrow Road facility. There are many adoptable animals, including several pit bulls, at the shelter, according to PAWSibilities officials. Upon application approval, dogs between the ages of 6 months and 6 years old will have a reduced adoption fee of $75, and senior canine friends will be $40; cats older than 6 months will be $5. All animals are spayed/neutered, up to date on vaccines, micro-chipped and include a 30-day free trial of pet insurance through 24PetWatch. Raffles, refreshments and education on pit bulls also will be provided throughout the day. According to PAWSibilities officials, the goal of this event is to celebrate pit bulls and educate the community about them.
Calendar of Events
- Electric Pressure Cooker Open Mic - 5/22/2015
- Lil’ Sprouts - 5/22/2015
- Kathy Johnson Trio - 5/22/2015
- Ron Kalinoski on “How to Grind Your Own Telescope Mirror”: Astronomy Club of Akron - 5/22/2015
- Wanted with Rock Brigade - 5/22/2015