West Side Holiday News & Notes
Akron hosts 27th annual Welcome Santa Holiday Parade
DOWNTOWN AKRON — More than 70 parade units, including costumed characters, floats, musical ensembles, marching bands and Santa Claus, participated in the 27th annual Welcome Santa Holiday Parade Nov. 30 on Main Street.
The parade was sponsored by the city of Akron Recreation Bureau, Bridgestone Americas and local radio stations 1590 WAKR, 97.5 WONE and 94.9 WQMX. Tim Daugherty, from WONE, and Sue Wilson, from WQMX, emceed.
Bridgestone Americas was the sponsor of the Santa float, which was designed and built by Bridgestone employees. Santa came to town in an Indycar surrounded by his loyal pit crew of Bridgestone employees and their children.
Karen Lynch and Karen Hogan, from the All-American Parade Judges Association, awarded the following units for this year’s parade:
- Best overall: Chapparells
- First place marching band: East Community Learning Center Marching Band
- Second place marching band: St. Vincent-St. Mary Fighting Irish Band
- First place youth group: Dance out Loud
- Second place youth group: St. Sebastian/St. Augustine Band
- First place costumed character: Akron Beacon Journal
- Second place costumed character: Akron Zoo
- First place float: Miller’s Towing
- Second place float: Manchester Girl Scouts
- First place animal unit: Just Friends
- Second place animal unit: North Central Ohio K-9 Search and Rescue
- First place specialty unit: Spotlight School of the Arts
- Second place specialty unit: Firestone Theatre — Akron School of the Arts
- First place novelty unit: St. Helen Unicycle Drill Team
- Second place novelty unit: Salvation Army Akron Citadel Jr. Timbre Brigade
KinderCare collecting teddy bears for Children’s Hospital
GREATER AKRON — Several area KinderCare locations are partnering with NewsChannel 5 in collecting donations of new teddy bears this holiday season.
Donations will be collected Dec. 9-13 from 6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. at any KinderCare location in the Akron, Canton and Cleveland area. Donations will be delivered to children at Akron Children’s Hospital and Cleveland Clinic.
In the West Side Leader’s coverage area, KinderCare has locations at 4050 Embassy Parkway in Fairlawn, 4195 Kinross Lakes Parkway in Richfield and 3100 State Road in Cuyahoga Falls.
Visit www.kindercare.com to find additional locations.
For more information, contact Amber Bowling, district manager, at 330-322-0026 or email@example.com.
Fairlawn club hosting Holiday Lighting Contest
FAIRLAWN — The Fairlawn City Women’s Club once again is sponsoring its outdoor Holiday Lighting Contest.
Residents in the Copley-Fairlawn City School District area are being invited to decorate their homes for the holidays for the contest. Judges will drive through the area to view decorated homes Dec. 10 at 6 p.m., weather permitting, and Dec. 11 as an alternative date. All display lighting should be turned on by that time.
The judges will select and notify the winners, which are selected according to how many lights are used, animation and overall beauty, according to club officials. Winners and honorable mention awardees will receive certificates.
There is no need to register to enter the contest.
Stephanie Kist and Maria Lindsay contributed to these reports.
More Holiday Highlights
Calendar of Events
- Cake Decorating - 5/4/2016
- Woodshop Orientation - 5/4/2016
- Adult Pottery - 5/4/2016
- University of Akron Symphonic Band - 5/4/2016
- Small Footprint: Road Trip - 5/5/2016