JCC hosting Family Wellness Expo
|A child participates in an activity at a past Family Wellness Expo at the Shaw Jewish Community Center.|
|Photo courtesy of the Shaw Jewish Community Center|
The Family Wellness Expo, which is free and open to the public, is an interactive event for families offering hands-on activities designed to help them explore health and wellness, according to JCC officials.
The Shaw JCC’s Early Childhood Education program will feature activities in the spirit of the Discover CATCH Early Childhood initiative, a program designed to nurture a love of physical activity, provide an introduction to classroom-based gardening and nutrition, and encourage healthy eating in young children, according to JCC officials. Children will learn about “Go, Slow and Whoa” foods, as well as healthy snacking.
This year’s expo also will feature Summa Health System engaging families in physical activity. Also, Guardians Advocating Child Safety and Protection (GASP) will create identification kits for children, according to JCC officials. The ETC School of Musical Arts also will perform at the event.
According to JCC officials, families will be able to explore wellness through interactive activities at nearly 40 booths. Some organizations that will be on hand at the event include:
- The Akron Zoo and its ZooMobile will be set up with live animals.
- The Akron Children’s Hospital Genetic Center will offer Make a Family Tree craft.
- Camp JCC will offer Rate My Plate Fun.
- Shaw JCC Massage Services will offer free sample massages.
- Music Together will provide music demonstrations.
- Rubber City Radio Group will offer Spin the Wheel for giveaways.
- Girls on the Run of Greater Summit will host a tiara decorating station.
According to JCC officials, also on hand will be representatives from the Summit County Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Mental Health Services Board; Peak Physical Medicine; Summit County Public Health; the Akron Summit County Public Library; and Metro Parks, Serving Summit County.
For more information about the event, visit www.shawjcc.org.
More Health & Fitness
Calendar of Events
- “Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman” - 10/20/2016
- Book Discussion Group - 10/20/2016
- Book Club: “At the Edge of the Orchard” by Tracy Chevalier - 10/20/2016
- Danny Clark - 10/20/2016
- Double T Quilt Club - 10/20/2016