South Side Senior News & Notes
Ohio Department of Insurance holding ‘Welcome to Medicare’ events
COLUMBUS — Lt. Gov. and Department of Insurance Director Mary Taylor announced the Ohio Senior Health Insurance Information Program (OSHIIP) will hold a total of 19 “Welcome to Medicare” events across Ohio in April and May.
The events will help consumers and their families understand the basics of Medicare, according to Taylor’s office.
“In 2013, the department’s OSHIIP program helped Ohioans save more than $16 million,” Taylor said. “With events scheduled in every region of the state this spring, I encourage Ohioans who recently enrolled in Medicare or those becoming eligible later this year to attend and learn more about their coverage options.”
According to Taylor’s office, OSHIIP is the state’s official source for free and unbiased Medicare information and counseling. OSHIIP helped more than 160,000 Ohioans with Medicare save a record $16.4 million in 2013. The figure includes a record $8.96 million saved during the fall open enrollment period.
The events provide an opportunity for consumers to learn about the benefits provided by Medicare and important deadlines that must be met, according to Taylor’s office. In addition, specifics about Medicare Advantage plans, supplemental health insurance, prescription drug coverage and financial assistance programs to help beneficiaries pay Medicare’s Part B premium and prescription drug out-of-pocket expenses will be provided.
While no events are scheduled in Summit or Medina counties, other regional events will take place at the following locations, with each event starting at 6 p.m.:
- Cuyahoga County: April 14 at the Beachwood Community Center, 25325 Fairmount Blvd. in Beachwood; and May 1 at the Ehrnfelt Senior Center, 18100 Royalton Road in Strongsville; and
- Stark County: May 7 at the Mercy Medical Center Mercy Hall, 1320 Mercy Dr. N.W. in Canton.
To register for the events, call 800-223-8662.
For additional information about these events and Medicare, call OSHIIP at 800-686-1578 or visit www.insurance.ohio.gov.
Kathleen Collins contributed to this report.
More Senior Lifestyles
Calendar of Events
- Kinderealm: Migration: for ages 3-6 - 5/29/2015
- Cuyahoga Valley Photographic Society - 5/29/2015
- Any Way You Want It with Broken Promise - 5/29/2015
- Full Moon Fever with Mo Mojo - 5/29/2015
- A New Adventure - 5/30/2015