Wildflowers ‘wake up’ in April
SUMMIT COUNTY — Virginia bluebells, coltsfoot and white trillium — the Ohio state wildflower — are just a few welcome splashes of trailside color visitors might see in the Summit County Metro Parks this season.
Visitors are invited to join naturalists for guided wildflower walks during the following free programs in April:
- Early Wildflowers, April 13, 3:30 p.m., Hampton Hills Metro Park’s Main Entrance, 2925 Akron-Peninsula Road in Northwest Akron. A naturalist will lead a gentle walk on moderate terrain to view the wildflowers that are already making their debut.
- Wildflower Hike, April 19, 10 a.m., Cascade Valley Metro Park’s Oxbow Area, 1061 Cuyahoga St. in North Akron; and April 26, 6 p.m., Liberty Park’s Twinsburg Ledges Area, 9999 Liberty Road in Twinsburg. Participants will search for wildflowers along Oxbow Trail and the Ledges Trail, respectively, and discover some past and present plant uses.
- Signs of Spring, April 19, 2 p.m., Furnace Run Metro Park’s Brushwood Area, 4955 Townsend Road in Richfield. Participants will hike at a leisurely pace along Rock Creek Trail with a naturalist in search of early wildflowers and other signs of spring.
- Bluebell Valley, April 26, 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., Everett Road Covered Bridge, 2370 Everett Road in Peninsula. Participants will take a strenuous 2.3-mile hike with a naturalist to see a tremendous amount of bluebells and other wildflowers along the way.
For more information, call 330-865-8065.
More Lawn & Garden
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 10/25/2014
- Easy Street Band - 10/25/2014
- PAWS for Reading with service dog Molly - 10/25/2014
- Identifying Your Family Photographs - 10/25/2014
- Norton Women’s Club Craft and Gift Show - 10/25/2014