Local gymnasts fare well at opening meet
|Photo courtesy of Sandi Murphy|
The 11-member compulsory team earned a combined 22 trophies and 33 medals. More than 500 gymnasts from more than 20 teams competed at the Ohio National Association of Women Gymnasts Judges Cup meet hosted by Kent State University.
Ceara Casterline, of Cuyahoga Falls, led the IGTC Level 6 team, placing first on beam, floor and all-around and second on bars. Madison Starks, of Akron, placed second on vault, beam, floor and all-around, and fourth on bars. Raina Rotondo, of Green, placed first on vault and beam, and third on floor and all-around. Rotondo, Casterline and Starks are shown at right from left.
The Level 5 team was anchored by Hayleigh Greer, of Akron, who placed first in all-around, second on vault, third on bars and beam, and fifth on floor. Kyonne Smith, of Akron, finished first on vault, second on all-around, and fourth on bars and floor. Mercedes Sieg, of Springfield, placed sixth on vault.
Alyssa Kerchner, of Springfield, a member of the IGTC Level 4 team, placed fourth on beam and all-around, fifth on floor and bars, and sixth on vault. Angela Kerchner, of Springfield, also competed.
- Hoban wins second consecutive state football title
- Walsh girls soccer team adds to winning culture with 10th state title
- West Side Saints win CYO championship
- Warriors, Bulldogs in spotlight following state wins
- Towpath men’s team finishes fourth at nationals
- Walsh girls soccer team adds 10th state championship
- Green girls swim team looking to join league’s ‘upper tier’
- Parks offer winter activities
Calendar of Events
- Akron Symphony: Home for the Holidays - 12/9/2016
- Nuance - 12/9/2016
- University of Akron Graduate String Quartet - 12/9/2016
- “America’s Got Talent” - 12/10/2016
- Dynamics Community Theater’s “Miracle on 34th Street” - 12/10/2016