Spring Garden students share warm bread for Santa Lucia Day
|Photo courtesy of Spring Garden Waldorf School|
Prior to this experience, students were told the story of Santa Lucia. During a particularly harsh winter (and after a very poor harvest), the people of Sweden were starving and freezing to death. Lucia was moved to venture out into the snow to bring a message of hope to the people who were suffering. Filled with the light of God’s spirit, she made her way across the frozen lakes and hills bringing food to the starving and filling their despairing hearts with the light and warmth of God’s love, according to school officials.
A procession of second-graders all dressed in white visited every classroom in the school with warm bread to eat, symbolizing warmth and light in this cold, dark season.
The curriculum in second grade is structured to present the children stories about people who have done something good for society. Children learn many different stories revolving around this theme throughout the school year, according to school officials.
Calendar of Events
- Downloading with the 3M Cloud Library, eLearning the Easy Way, Excel Basics, Games and Tricks for Android Tablets - 8/29/2015
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 8/29/2015
- Full Moon Paddle - 8/29/2015
- Bad to the Bone with the Whiskey Kings, Hotel California with the Twistoffs - 8/29/2015
- Keepers of the Art Music Showcase - 8/29/2015